Tuesday 12 May 2009

Alyeska

This is where you go to catch the tram. This reminds me of the Sound of Music. We will be back here in a minute. But for now I have something else to show you....






Alyeska is located in Girdwood. Girdwood was originally called Glacier City. Because of the glaciers that rim the surrounding mountains. Girdwood began as a gold mining town in 1900 when a man by the name of James Girdwood hit pay dirt in Crow Creek.



The 1964 earthquake sunk the town into Turn again Arm. When the town was rebuilt they moved it 2 miles inland.




See this lake? This is the view out the back door. Well out the door and to the right.




The grand building in this picture is the backside of Hotel Alyeska. The front is impressive as well. But I was to busy playing tourist to break out my camera. Sorry! next time we go I will be sure to snap a picture so you will be able to see what I mean.
Remember when I told you to remember the first picture? Sure you do!!! I told you that was where you catch the tram. Well in my second post for today I am going to show you the tram. I stayed on the ground while my family went up there. Ok go ahead and call me chicken... I have vertigo and sometimes these tram rides get to me.. So on this day I was the ground crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment